Many animals in the wild are facing extinction. With community support, Perth Zoo can further increase its contribution to wildlife conservation, providing increased opportunities to conserve threatened species and habitats. To achieve this, Perth Zoo’s fundraising program Wildlife Conservation Action (WCA) provides funds to support threatened species in the wild.
Did you know…
- More than 1,500 Australian animals and plants are threatened with extinction
- It is estimated that as few as 6,300 Sumatran Orangutans are left in the wild
- It is estimated as few as 4,000 Javan (or Silvery) Gibbons are left in the wild
- There are now fewer than 400 Sumatran Tigers left in the wild
- Found only in Papua New Guinea, as few as 200 Tenkile Tree Kangaroos remain in the wild
- The African Painted Dog, once widespread across Africa, is now reduced to small, scattered populations totalling no more than 2,500 individuals
- Two Australian frog species have been lost to the deadly and highly contagious Chytrid fungus in recent years, with over 50% of Australia’s threatened frog species infected with the fungus
Money raised through Wildlife Conservation Action will help Perth Zoo directly support Silvery Gibbons, Sun Bears, New Guinea tree kangaroos, African Painted Dogs, Sumatran Orangutans, Tigers and Elephants and West Australian native species in the wild and enable the community to become an important link in the conservation chain.
It is easy to make a difference.
Look what your donation can do…
$20 Feeds an orangutan at Jungle School in Sumatra for two weeks
$50 Feeds an orangutan at Jungle School in Sumatra for over a month
$75 Supports a week of training for an orangutan in Jungle School
$150 Funds specialist local junior Jungle School staff for two weeks so they can prepare orangutans for their life
in the wild
$250 Protects orangutan habitat and Jungle School for one week by supporting the operations of a local wildlife
$500 Protects orangutan habitat and Jungle School through funding operations of a local wildlife protection patrol
for two weeks
$1,000 Trains an orangutan at Jungle school for three months
Perth Zoo covers all administration costs for Wildlife Conservation Action so 100% of your donation goes to projects on the ground.
Perth Zoo’s Wildlife Conservation Action Success Stories
Thanks to the generous support of the community, approximately $313,000 was raised in 2012-13 to support the conservation of threatened species in the wild. Since Wildlife Conservation Action began in June 2007 more than $1.7 million has been raised under this fundraising program. Funds were primarily raised through generous donations and fundraising by the WA public, schools and businesses. To find out more about the conservation projects supported click on the links below: